Special Problems and Challenges, and the Future of Policing in America
Law enforcement operations and strategies were historically driven by proven best practices. Current and future challenges now require a new approach combined with the responsiveness and comprehension of officers using a different thought process and judgment. These challenges require a fundamental transformation inclusive of new tools, new strategies, and new approaches. Use your textbook, the Internet, and/or the Strayer Library to research credible sources on the aforementioned issues as they relate to law enforcement operations and management and the social aspect of policing.
Write a 6–8 page paper in which you answer the following questions:
- Identify the best practices being used by law enforcement agencies to ensure that officers are trained in all aspects of understanding and manipulating technology and technological devices in their attempts to keep up with the rapidly changing technological environment.
- Identify the ways in which police officers are responding to a changing and diverse community. What can police agencies do to improve the trust between diverse members of the community?
- Identify the agencies involved in investigating hate crimes. Identify the challenges involved in investigating hate crimes. Analyze the problems related to determining the actual number of hate crimes and what makes a hate crime different from other crimes. Describe how domestic terrorism and hate crimes are similar in nature.
- What does the future of policing look like in America? Identify the myriad of challenges that those in the law enforcement community are currently facing, and will face in the future.
- Go to locate and use at least four quality sources in this assignment.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references should follow the Strayer Writing Standards (SWS).
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Examine the role of law enforcement agencies in handling modern challenges such as terrorism and hate crimes.