- Giotto. Lamentation Fresco in the Scrovegni (Arena) Chapel, 1305–06
- Masaccio, The Tribute Money, c. 1427
- Perugino, Christ Giving the Keys to St. Peter, 1481
- Jan Van Eyck, Double Portrait of Giovanni Arnolfini and His Wife, 1434
- Master of Flémalle, Mérode Altarpiece, 1425-28
- Hugo van der Goes, Portinari Altarpiece, 1474-76
- In a paragraph of 4-6 sentences, describe the of the painting, including its use of color and light, and the representation of space. Explain why some artistic elements in the painting look realistic to you and some do not look realistic. Discuss whether the figures fit into the space, whether their movements seem believable, whether their clothes fit their bodies properly, and whether there are shadows that make sense.
- Read about your selected painting in the course textbook and/or through reliable online resources. In a paragraph of 4-6 sentences, describe the overall subject matter of the painting; the meaning of some of the objects in the painting; and any social, historical, political, and/or religious factors that are important to understanding the painting. Be sure to provide citations for any outside sources you reference in this part of your response.