This assignment is to help you gain insight regarding the influence of genetics on an individual’s health and risk for disease. You are to obtain a family genetic history on a willing, nonrelated, adult participant.
Please use the form to fill out the required information and Be sure to read all the criteria for full credit
Family Genetic History Guidelines
This assignment is to help you gain insight regarding the influence of genetics on an individual’s health and risk for disease. You are to obtain a family genetic history on a willing, nonrelated, adult participant. NOTE: failing to complete this assignment using an adult participant other than yourself will result in a 20% penalty deduction being applied.
The Family Genetic History Assignment is to be submitted at the end of Week 2.
When taking a family genetic history on an actual client, it is essential that the information is accurate. Please inform the person you are interviewing that they do not need to disclose information that they wish to keep confidential. If the adult participant decides not to share information, please write, “Does not want to disclose.” If the client fails to disclose answers to several items, you will need to find another client who is willing to share.
Refer to the examples in Chapter 4 of your textbook that discuss development of a genogram.
Jarvis, C. (2016). Physical examination & health assessment (7th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier
1. Download the required NR305_Family_Genetic_History_Form (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. You will document the adult participant’s family genetic history using this MS Word document.
2. Complete the family genetic history using the information that the adult participant is willing to share with you. The focus of this course is on the normal healthy individual so your paper does not need to contain much medical/nursing detail. Refer to your textbook or the Internet to learn what impact the family’s health history may have on the adult participant’s personal state of wellness both now and in the future. This paper does not require APA formatting, but you are expected to write clearly and use proper grammar and spelling. Developing a pictorial genogram using symbols to identify certain relationships (e.g., divorced, sibling, deceased, etc.), may provide more insight, however, drawing may be difficult to accomplish with MS Word, therefore you are not expected to use symbols, lines, or other drawing elements. Instead, describe the relationships among the various people in the adult participant’s family’s genetic history. Remember, the goal is not to learn how to draw with Word, but to gather information about the family and recognize its significance to the adult participant and that person’s health.
3. You are required to complete the form using the productivity tools required by Chamberlain University, which is Microsoft Office Word 2013 (or later version), or Windows and Office 2011 (or later version) for MAC. You must save the file in the “.docx” format.
4. Save the completed form by clicking on Save as and add your last name to the file name, for example, NR305_Family_Genetic_History_Form_Smith.
5. Submit the completed form to the Family Genetic History form by friday, 11:59 p.m. MT at the end of Week 2. Please post questions about this assignment to the weekly Q & A Forums so the entire class may view the answers.
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeFamily Genetic History
Develop a family genetic history that includes the adult participant’s grandparents, parents, the adult participant, the adult participant’s spouse or significant other, and any children that the adult participant may have. You do not need to use symbols or other drawing elements, but instead describe each person mentioned and their relationships. *Please note any areas left blank will be considered missing information and will result in loss of points*
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeEvaluation of Family Genetic History
Evaluate the impact of the family’s history on the adult participant’s health. For example, if the mother and both her sisters have diabetes, hypertension or cancer, what might that mean for the future health of the adult participant?
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomePlanning for Future Wellness
Plan changes based on the evaluation of the adult participant’s family genetic history that will promote an optimal level of wellness both now and in the future.
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeScholarly Writing
Use proper grammar, spelling, and medical language.
|Total Points: 150.0|