M5 ASSIGNMENT 1
ASSIGNMENT1: LASA2: GENDER APPROPRIATE AND INAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIORS
Recent headlines have sparked heated debate about whether boys should be allowed to dress as girls. For example, a 5-year-old boy in Seattle who enjoys things traditionally for girls, such as jewelry, the color pink, and dresses was supported and encouraged by his mother, who wrote a book about him called “My Princess Boy”. A J. Crew ad featured a mother painting her young boy’s toenails hot pink (CBS News, 2011 April 13). Reactions ranged from outrage and disbelief to support of the mothers.
On the flipside, girls who shun traditionally “girly things” such as dresses and flowers in favor of more traditional “boy things” such as watching or playing sports, rough-and-tumble play, and choosing boys as friends are often called tomboys.
For either sex, choosing to engage in activities traditionally reserved for a specific sex can result in teasing and accusations of homosexuality.
· Using research gathered from your textbook, online course content, and at least 1 research article, analyze the above scenarios.
· Are the behaviors discussed above (i.e., preferring things traditionally acceptable for a specific sex) indicative of homosexuality? Why or why not?
· Describe the psychological consequences (positive and negative) that might result from engaging in behaviors reserved for a specific sex?
· Develop an argument for or against concern that these children might be exhibiting a paraphilia.
· Which paraphilia(s) might apply and what criteria would you use based on the research?
· What, if any, intervention would you recommend to a parent whose little girl or boy expresses the desire to engage in behaviors typical of the opposite sex? If you do not believe intervention is necessary, explain why.
By the due date assigned, write an essay that is 3-5 pages in length. Also include a cover page and reference list. Remember to support your arguments with information drawn from the online content, the textbook, and other credible, scholarly sources to substantiate the points you are making. Apply APA standards to for writing and citations to your work.
The paper should be double-spaced 12-point typescript, Times Roman font, with 1-inch margins all around, and free from grammatical errors.
M5 ASSIGNMENT 2 DISCUSSION
ASSIGNMENT 2: DISCUSSION: SEXUAL HARASSMENT
The two legal “tests” that constitute sexual harassment are:
A. Quid pro quo, meaning failure to give in to unwanted sexual advances will threaten a person’s academic or employment career.
B. Behavior, which a “reasonable person” would deem a “hostile or offensive working environment.”
Some men complain that because the second point is too vague and potentially too broad, they fear being falsely accused of sexual harassment. They also say they worry that simply smiling and indulging in a little friendly flirting with a female co-worker can be misconstrued. Some women also acknowledge that they miss some of the playful camaraderie.
· Why is it important to have sexual harassment laws? If you do not believe these laws or necessary, explain your position.
· Do you think sexual harassment regulations have gone too far? Take a position—yes or no—and discuss it.
· How would you distinguish playful flirting from sexual harassment? Provide at least two scenarios that illustrate the difference.
Write your initial response to each part in 3–4 paragraphs. Support your arguments with research, applying APA standards to citation of sources.