Guidelines & Scoring Rubric
The purpose of the Case Study assignment is to help students apply and integrate pathophysiology, pharmacology, and health(physical) assessment into simulations of nursing care. Note that case studies such as this can be used as a class discussion and as a case study for various forms of simulation.
Date:Sunday 11:59 p.m. MT at the
end of Week 5
Students will develop a case study that represents a complex health problem of their choice and that could be used in a high-fidelity simulation lab. Your topic should have been approved by your instructor in Week 2. Provide details in your case study related to the
(1) modifiable and unmodifiable risk factors represented in your patient,
(2) presenting signs and symptoms the patient displays,
(4) prescribed pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical interventions, and
(5)laboratory and other diagnostic tests.
The case study should start with objectives for the simulation, stated as what the student will do or display and by when(see below). Thereafter, the patient should be presented, along with three questions you will ask your students about the case.
Preparing the case study
1. Identify a complex health problem that could be used in a high-fidelity simulation lab to teach undergraduate nursing students good clinical reasoning and critical thinking skills. Your topic should have been approved by your instructor in Week 4
2. Use the NR526 Case Study Template to develop your assignment. Your focus is on developing a case study rather than on developing a simulation.
3. Provide at least five (5) objectives for your case study, corresponding with the major lessons you plan for your students.
a. The objectives should begin with- At the end of this simulation, the learner will . Or At the end of this simulation, the student will .
b. The objectives should be specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time specific. When you examine your objectives, ask yourself how you will know your students have met them. For example, learn and understand are not specific or measurable. A search on Blooms taxonomy will yield a multitude of action verbs that you can use instead.
4.Use the NR526 Case Study Templateand provide the following:
a. The modifiable and unmodifiable risk factors represented in your patient
b. Presenting signs and symptoms the patient displays
c. Psychosocial factors, such as the patients family structure and function
d. Prescribed pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical interventions
e. Laboratory and other diagnostic tests.
5. Provide three questions that will elicit good clinical reasoning and critical thinking in your undergraduate students as well as rationale for each
question that is based on peer-reviewed sources.
Faculty Feedback Table
Case Study Risk Factors
Case Study Signs & Symptoms
Case Study Psychosocial Factors
Case Study – Interventions
Case Study Lab and Other