Topic: Mandatory Reporting
Question/Prompt: Child abuse and neglect is a common problem in the United States. As a future counselor, you will most likely encounter and be required to report abuse or neglect. To do so, you must understand the signs of abuse and neglect and your state laws regarding reporting. Follow the steps below to gather information so that you can complete this discussion board:
STATE OF VIRGINIA
APA FORMAT, CITED, AND REFERENCES
- Go to the following website entitled Child Welfare Information Gateway.
- Click on “State Resources” title. Under “State Resources” click on both the “State Statutes” and “State Guides and Manuals Search” tabs. Under both the “State Statutes” and “State Guides and Manuals Search” tabs, select your state under “Select a State(s) (required)” title. STATE OF VIRGINIA
- Using the information found under both the “State Statutes” and “State Guides and Manuals Search,” collect information to answer the following questions for your first post:
- How does your state(VIRGINIA) define child abuse and neglect?
- What are the signs of child abuse and neglect?
- Which professions (and in what period of time) are required to report suspected child abuse and neglect?
- What is the procedure for reporting child abuse and neglect?
- What is the penalty for not reporting child abuse and neglect